Monday, January 9, 2012

Bertolt Brecht: Epic Theatre


"The dramatic theater's spectator says: Yes, I have felt like that too-- Just like me -- It's only natura -- It'll never changer -- The suffering of this man appall me, because they are inescapable. That's great art; it all seems the most obvious thing in the world-I weep when they weep, I laugh when they laugh"

"The epic theater's spectator says: I'd never have thought it -- That's not the way -- That's extraordinary, hardly believable -- they are unnecessary -- that's great art; nothing obvious in it -- I laugh when they weep, I weep when they laugh."


  • Breaking down of the fourth wall
  • actor - audience
    • connection
    • conversation
    • interaction
  • Poster boards/panels/projections (announcing)/narrator/placards or signs "telling", "underlining", "framing" the scene:
    • where 
    • who 
    • what
Today:
  • video
  • live streaming
  • actor asking advice from the audience
  • projection, angles, backdrop
  • actors within the audience
  • use of the "house" for stage effects
  • mics
  • bringing an audience member into the play
  • minimalism - Dogville
  • only using what you really need

No comments:

Post a Comment